- 9% of Texans have diabetes.
- Up to half have not been diagnosed.
- 3,200 amputations are performed each year as a result of diabetes.
- Diabetes is a leading reason for lower limb amputations.
- 2,200 individuals go blind each year from diabetes. Diabetes is the leading cause of adult blindness.
- 1,169 individuals develop kidney disease requiring dialysis every year as a result of diabetes.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of Texans receiving state-funded dialysis treatments.
- Diabetes costs the state of Texas 8 billion dollars per year.
- 50% of all blindness, kidney disease and amputations could be prevented with early intervention.
- 70% of hospitalizations of individuals with diabetes can be reduced if they are taught diabetes management techniques.
High Risk Populations
- 1 in 3 Native Americans
- 1 in 6 Mexican Americans (1 in 4 in El Paso)
- 1 in 5 African Americans
- 1 in 15 Anglos
In El Paso…
- 50% of all patients admitted to local Hospitals have diabetes-related complications.
- 85,281 people suffer from diabetes.
- Up to 25,000 are undiagnosed.
- One in four children is at high risk for diabetes.
- Diabetes is a leading reason to access the emergency room.
- 70% of adult dialysis cases are due to diabetes.
- Most adult onset blindness is due to diabetes.
- Diabetes costs El Paso over 25 million dollars in emergency care every year.
- 75% of hospitalizations from diabetes complications can be reduced through awareness, access, and education.
10 years ago: every 10 seconds, one person dies of diabetes or diabetes-related complications.
In 2014: every 10 seconds, three persons die of diabetes or diabetes-related complications.
The EPDA offers diabetes screening, counseling, classes, and support to all El Paso TX residents. If we can help you or your love ones, please reach out.
Call us at (915) 532-6280 or email us here.